Episode 18 Conversations over Milk & Cookies - Kathryn Biel

Welcome to Episode 18 of Conversations over Milk & Cookies hosted by Kindle Ninja.


What is this madness, you ask? 

It's my way of supporting members of the RAVE REVIEWS BOOK CLUB

We interact with them everyday, directly through tweets, or indirectly through re-tweets, but we don't really know much about them. Their personalities really don't shine through in 140 characters.

All the EPISODES of Conversations over Milk & Cookies can be found HERE.  Or you can just look to your right and you'll find the Quick Links.

In this episode, we feature AUTHOR KATHRYN BIEL (@KRBiel) She's the author of "GOOD INTENTIONS" and "HOLD HER DOWN".


Let's get to know Kathryn in more than 140 characters, shall we?

KINDLE NINJA (KN):  Welcome to Conversations over Milk and Cookies. How do you like your cookies? Chewy? Crunchy? Crumbly? Something else?

Definitely chewy and under baked. My favorite kind are chocolate with peanut butter chips, and under-done. Unless it's gingersnaps. They have to be crunchy.


I’d assume I’m the person you’d want to drink Milk with, but who’s the person you’d want to have coffee with?
Hmmm, that's a tough one. Darynda Jones pops to mind. She's just so funny when she writes that I imagine she'd be entertaining to talk to over coffee (which I do drink every day).

Writers are very interesting (and sometimes quirky) people with strange habits. What is your strange writing habit?
It is more of a pre-writing habit, but I run through story lines in my head when I'm trying to fall asleep at night. Sometimes, when I'm alone (or think I am), I say the dialogue out loud.

What would you consider as your 15 mins of fame?
I'll let you know when I get it. I was in the half-time show of the Citrus Bowl when I was 18, but that would be pretty pitiful for my 15 minutes. I'd like to think it is still on its way.


How important is the choice of character names in your novel  (or any novel for that matter)
I think as long as they fit the time period/setting, anything goes. I want to be able to pronounce a name when I read it (I could not for the life of me figure out how to say Hermione when reading Harry Potter). On the other hand, if I'm reading a book set in 1950, I don't think there should be a Kristyn or a Jennifer. Often, I change my characters' names after I've written the story—mostly to use a friend's name.

If your novel “Good Intentions” would be made into a movie, who do you want to play the main character/s?
 

 

For Maggie, I like Emma Stone (but she's too tall), so I think Ellen Page would be a good fit. For Ryan, Taylor Lautner (if he were older and taller). I could probably cast Henry Cavill in that role.

You can read Kindle Ninja's review of Good Intentions HERE.
The book is $1.99. Come on! Purchase it now! 

 

And who will direct the movie?
Kathryn Bigelow (because she knows how to spell her first name properly).


How do you feel about doughnuts without holes?
If they have chocolate cream in them, they are acceptable. Jelly-filled doughnuts are never acceptable. Ever.

 What’s the book you wished you’d written?
Slammed by Colleen Hoover

What’s the book that positively shaped you?
Don't laugh, but it is The Bobbsey Twins series because it is the first set of books I remember my mom reading to us. I remember all piling on a bed while my mom read those stories. Ever since then, I've loved to read. I credit being read to as a child for helping that love develop.

What would you rather be doing now? (instead of answering these questions).
Sleeping, but it is only 7 pm, so it is a bit on the early side (I was up a lot during the night, so I'm dragging right now).


What do you do to decompress?
Writing is what helps me decompress, particularly when things are rough. I also dance (tap, ballet and jazz) which helps tremendously.


Favorite curse word?
F**k.

What bizarre food have you eaten?
None, because I'm too picky of an eater. I tried rabbit once. That is about as daring as I get.

If you had a tattoo where would it be?
I never got a tattoo when I was younger because A.) I could never figure out what meant that much to me that I needed it permanently on my body, and B.) because I couldn't figure out where I would put it that it would not be visible in my wedding gown (and in a place that wouldn't stretch when I had kids). I guess, at this point, I would do the inside of my wrist or a band on my toe, but I'd rather not have one.

What was the last song you heard?
'We Will Rock You' by Queen

  
Can you sing a line to me?
I can, but I don't want to be responsible for making your ears bleed. In my head I am an awesome singer. In reality, not so much. Plus, I think everyone knows the words to that one.


Which actress would you like to play YOU in the movie version of your life?
I'll go with Ellen Page, since Maggie physically is me, for the most part. If Jennifer Lawrence wanted to do it, I wouldn't have an issue with that either.

  
On a scale of 1 to 10, how excited are you about life right now?
6. New things are coming but there could be some difficult days on the horizon.

Nicholas Sparks or Dan Brown?
I have to say Dan Brown. My issue with Nicholas Sparks is SOMEONE always dies and it is terribly sad. I don't want to be sad all the time.

J.K. Rowling or Stephenie Meyer?
Stephenie Meyer. I love, love, love the Twilight series. I read the whole series in 5 days and then immediately re-read it.

Ninjas or Penguins?
Ok, this is tough because while Ninjas are awesome, penguins are my thing. I have done penguin excursions at aquariums and have five (stuffed animal) ones that my dad sent to me when he was in the South Pole. My son's first bedroom was done in penguins. My Christmas tree is mostly penguin ornaments. However, a penguin has never interviewed me nor read my books (that I know of). So, until that day (or if I get published by Penguin books), I have to say Ninjas.
 

 Penguin & Kathryn

Thanks for your time. Hope you enjoyed the Q&A.
Thank you for having me. I'm up for cookies any time!

UPDATE:

Kathryn's new book I'M STILL HERE is  available for pre-order.



This title will be auto-delivered to your Kindle on September 2, 2014.

Popular posts from this blog

10 Reasons Why You Should Read “The Girl Who Walked in the Shadows"

Episode 8: Conversations over Milk & Cookies - Katie Hayoz

REVIEWS: Kindle Ninja Reads More Chick Lit - Part 2

Reviews: The Short of It

REVIEW: The Betrayal - Family Wars, Glasgow-style