KINDLE NINJA: TWO REVIEWERS, ONE BOOK - LOVING NATE by Janice G. Ross



Two Reviewers, One Book.

When time allows, I invite a reviewer, blogger, author, or random character to sit with me in this very comfortable couch  and share our views (opposing or otherwise) on a book we've chosen.

There’s no method to this madness. We just let things run their course.

My special guest is Marlena Hand, a prolific reviewer with over 50 books reviewed in Amazon and elsewhere (I’m not worthy!). She is also the Secretary at Rave Reviews Book Club.

The book is “Loving Nate” by Janice G.Ross, RRBC’s Spotlight Author in April.

http://www.amazon.com/Loving-Nate-Janice-Ross-ebook/dp/B00II04118

Synopsis:
Loving Nate is Leah's story of falling in love with Mr. Perfect. Leah falls fast and hard, losing all sense of reasoning. Love can do that to a gal, especially when the guy is as smooth as Nathan Moore. Loving Nate is about Leah's journey of falling in love, when she should have been standing in love. 


Kindle Ninja (KN): How do you like the new couch, Marlena? 

Marlena Hand (MH): Very comfy! But where are the cookies??

KN: This show has no budget! So, let’s get down to business. “Loving Nate” by Janice Ross. This is not your typical love story. 

MH: Agreed! This isn’t geared towards the typical Happily Ever After. 

KN: I like that it’s fast-paced. Because I really can’t deal with overlong descriptions of flirtations and romantic dalliance.

MH: Definitely fast-paced. It was such a quick read!

KN: Let’s get to the good stuff.  Would it be right to describe this as “steamy and delicious”?

MH: I saw reviews that said this, but I disagree. Some may see the relationship between Leah and Nate as steamy, but I would call it passionate. And delicious? I only use that word with food!  ;)

KN: I would think food is the last thing on their minds LOL. Passionate is more appropriate. I’d throw in ‘lustful’ and 'carnal'.

MH: Yes, I would hope that food was far from their minds! LOL

KN: Is the story realistic to you? Can someone be so consumed by love?

MH: I say yes. I’ve never experienced a love like this, at least in the negative sense that it becomes. A love that completely takes over, becoming stronger and more important than reason. This is one of the reasons I enjoyed Loving Nate…it felt so real.

KN: I think most relationships would pale in comparison. LOL Where are all these ‘Leahs’ hiding? I’ve yet to meet one.

MH: Relationships are different now. I see more relationships built on convenience than I do ones built on love. I won’t get into my soapbox here, but that’s just how I see it. That’s not to say that there aren’t real relationships out there, ones built on love and trust and loyalty. But society is different now.

Oops…there I go…

KN: Perhaps love is indeed overrated... Speaking of Leah. She comes across as a strong yet vulnerable character.

MH: I completely agree with this. Leah was a very strong woman in the beginning and we see her change and develop through the story.

KN: And the author’s flair for writing helps elevate the characterization. Depth in character really shows. It’s good writing.


MH: Agreed!

KN: Which is a stark contrast to Nate’s character. I think it’s not well developed.

MH: This is very true, and I admit I wanted to know more about this character. BUT I wonder if it was purposeful. We see the story through Leah’s eyes, so maybe that’s the only part of Nate we could know. 

KN: That’s a good point. But I feel that the less we know of Nate, the more difficult it is to understand his intentions and motivations. 

MH: Maybe that’s the point. I like to think so. He’s a complete mystery, for the most part.

KN:  To me, there were many questions left unanswered. 

MH: The story unfolded quickly. It actually left me with many questions, but I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing. A really good book will leave you wanting more from the characters AND from the author.

KN: The book has two endings. I usually like alternate endings. BUT…

MH: I loved seeing the story end two different ways. There have been so many books that I have thoroughly enjoyed, but always wondered what would’ve happened had the main character chosen a different path. You get to see that in Loving Nate.

KN: But I wasn’t  so crazy about both endings. I know I’m in the minority here, seeing how many reviewers loved this part of the book.

MH: I liked that they were so different, showing Leah taking two different paths. I preferred the 1st ending, but I won’t go into the details of why. Don’t want to give away any spoilers!!


KN: They are different endings, but I didn’t see them as different paths.
I would’ve wanted two contrasting endings.

MH: I agree with that. There could’ve been a more contrasting angle, something with a complete twist in the storyline. The two endings, as they are, puts Leah on two different paths. Not just for the story, but also for her character development. She comes out stronger in the first ending, which is part of the reason I enjoyed it.

KN: This is not the ‘Happily Ever After’ the way most of us envisioned.

MH: Happily Ever After depends on the ending the reader chooses. In my opinion, this story shows we have the CHOICE to make our own Happily Ever After.


KN: I give it 3.5 stars.

MH: 5 stars!

***
I'd like to thank Marlena Hand for making this joint Review possible. It was time away from her busy schedule. It was not easy to do but I enjoyed it immensely. -KN

Popular posts from this blog

Episode 24 Conversations over Milk & Cookies - Effrosyni Moschoudi

FOLLOW ME: When Twitter Kills

Episode 23 Conversations over Milk & Cookies - Stevie Turner

Kindle Ninja Review: RAVE REVIEWS BOOK CLUB Edition #8

Two Reviewers, One Book: The Winged Turban